A few weeks ago I had the stupidest skincare mishap I’ve ever had in my life. I was throwing a surprise party for my boyfriend’s birthday and I’d reached peak stress levels. I was thinking about all the things that still needed to be done before the party – including needing to shower! I also realized my nail polish was all chipped so I grabbed my nail polish remover and cotton round before heading toward the shower. I poured the acetone on a cotton round and – here’s where I went wrong – I proceeded to swipe acetone all over my face.
I’m honestly, truly embarrassed to publish that sentence on the internet – but it happened. I had so much on my mind that I wasn’t thinking, and since I normally pour my micellar water on a cotton round, I instinctively put it on my face. But, a quick google search of “I accidentally put acetone on my face” will prove to you that I’m not the only idiot that’s made this mistake:
I didn’t even notice what I’d done until my face started burning and I immediately threw down the cotton round and ran lukewarm water over my face until the burning/tingling sensation went away.
I still had yet to shower and was worried the hot steam would irritate my already-sensitive skin so I put a thin layer of Vaseline on my face. After the shower, I could see that my face had become really blotchy and red and I was furious at the thought of hosting a party with a blotchy rash over my face, so I knew I had to do something to calm it down. But I also didn’t want to use too many products and risk making it worse.
I ran to my fridge and pulled out my Glossier rosewater spray to give myself a soothing mist and I followed it up immediately with Cetaphil moisturizing lotion. Finally, I put a thin layer of Tamanu oil all over my face. Tamanu oil is great for my acne and hyperpigmentation and even better for rashes and burns because of its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. It’s a miracle oil and has very quickly become a holy grail status item for me.
Within 10 minutes of doing this post-acetone-rash mini-routine, the redness had decreased significantly and within 3 hours it was almost completely gone. I also soaked a paper towel in green tea and kept it in the fridge for an hour – about 30 minutes before I left my apartment I let it sit on my face for a little while. My skin was still a bit blotchy for the rest of the day, but by 7pm it was significantly better and by then I felt it was safe to put makeup on.
I’m hoping I never make a mistake like that again, but the situation made me think of all of the skincare mistakes I made as a teenager before I had any real knowledge of skincare. One of these mistakes even led to me having the worst breakout I’ve ever had during senior prom. So in part 2 of this post, I’m going to talk about my past skincare mistakes and ingredients/products to avoid.
Tell me about your biggest skincare mishap/mistake!
2 comments on “Skincare Mistakes Part 1”
Oh no!!! that sounded very painful. Glad you had something to take care of it! <3
Haha thank you!! Not my finest moment but I survived